I thought an update is overdue… It’s 3 months until the year, and we’re still no closer in making the decision on when exactly we’re going to leave next year.
At this point, we know we’re not leaving in the summer, leaning towards fall for reason explained below, but really, if I don’t have a job by the end of February (most likely my project will get an extension. Yay?), why wait? Let’s leave in April.
It’s a tougher decision to make than we have expected. The two contradictory desires between the excitement of the adventure and the prudence of saving up as much as we can keep pulling us in one way or another.
We are both itching to get out of our day jobs. So we should leave sooner than later. However, if we leave later in the year, we can save more money. That sounds like the more responsible path. But it’s also a slippery slope… we might end up waiting, and keep on waiting because it might never seem like we would have saved up enough.
I guess we still have time. By the end of this year we’d have a clearer idea on what early 2011 will bring. And we should be able to come up with a more solid plan. It would just be nice if we can at least have one variable fixed. It makes planning the other logistics so much easier.
And oh, here is our current itinerary… it’s waaaay different than our first draft and I will expect it to continue to evolve:
San Francisco, CA – Miami, FL – Bogota – Overland On Your Own – Sao Paulo – Paris – Overland On Your Own – London – Istanbul – Overland On Your Own – Cairo – Nairobi – Overland On Your Own – Johannesburg – Beijing – San Francisco, CA